The Conservatory dates from the 1920’s when there was an extensive effort to plant out the western end of the park with a large variety of trees from all over the world. The simplicity of the design of the Conservatory is due to the fact that it was previously a greenhouse, located at Ripponlea and was brought here as a replacement when the original was burnt down.
It has suffered from benign neglect for many years and is in urgent need of refurbishment. Its role is particularly important as we enter a period of global warming and it is to be anticipated that many smaller plants will need its protection in order to afford us the ability to see plants that will no longer grow in the harsh Victorian summers.
The present plants are a simplification of the range that grew here a couple of decades ago. We look forward to an enrichment of varieties in the future.
The Conservatory is frequently used as a backdrop for photographers, especially for bridal parties.
Some of the various species of ferns maintained in the shelter of the Conservatory.